Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What is a Courageous Connection Tour?

In jest, I say it is a mid-life (crisis) Opportunity. ;-))
In truth, it is a spiritual journey.

It started as a joke a year ago when I left the corporate world and then took on a life of it's own where it was not only a possibility, but becoming a reality.

I named it Courageous Connections.

Courage to leave behind everything familiar.
For the last year, I've been clearing out... initially just the clutter and then the unnecessary. I have given so much away to charity and to freecycle and sold a few things on Craig's list. My home leased within 30 days of being on the market when there are probably 20 available within a mile of me. Fortunately, they took it furnished and everything was packed and put into a storage room. I didn't realize my attachment to stuff until I actually left it and it hit me. I've chosen to live on the road for the rest of this year taking the minimum with me. I've been with my godchildren for the last 3 weeks and doing the final downsizing here. I still have too much stuff.

Courage to accept people's generosity and trust them that what they say it true. They want me. They want to be a part of this adventure and they want to provide for me in their home. After talking about it for a year, I sent a survey to everyone who said they wanted me to stop at their home to set up expectations for both of us on what it would look like and what they were comfortable with. As those responses came in...
"I love you"
"I miss you"
"You are amazing"
"You are an inspiration"
I was overwhelmed with the love that came back through this information gathering process.

Courage to do my life's work outside my comfort zone. These people are working with me to set up workshops and speaking opportunities along the way.

Courage to ask for what I need. I had an epiphany on Jan 20th and made immediate changes in my diet. It started with needing to detox from a diet coke addiction. At this point, I've lost 17.5 lbs. As I travel, my intention is to maintain this healthy lifestyle and so it would not serve me to be greeted with sweets in 40+ homes across the states. People are pointing me to the hiking trails and supporting me to continue both walking and daily yoga practice along the way.

Courage to do some of the things on my "bucket list". I'll be whitewater rafting for the first time when I am in Colorado.

Connections because it is an opportunity for me to connect with myself. When you strip away all the identities that define me.. who I AM remains. I mentioned it is a spiritual journey, time for me to connect with my God. And time for me to connect with my network of friends all across the US.

So... when my 30 year HS reunion came up in the middle of this trip.. it fit both categories and was added into the travel plans.

Then I asked 2 friends to join me on the 3 day walk for breast cancer as it also supported my purpose.

No comments: